The Editor Wants to Know: Do You Substitute Yarns in Patterns?
The Editor Wants to Know Your BURNING Knitting Questions!

The Editor Wants to Know Your BURNING Knitting Questions!

Some patterns list generic worsted weight, lace weight, etc. yarn that forces you to find your own fiber. But how about when there is a specific yarn listed in the materials list? Do you always follow what is said? Or do you go your own way and choose an old standby or a hot new brand you’ve been dying to try?

Drop a comment and let us know! We’d love to hear from you!

[yop_poll id=”2″]

28 Responses to The Editor Wants to Know: Do You Substitute Yarns in Patterns?

1. Bobbie Chapman says:

I usually sub for more readily available yarn. However, if it is a special garment I will order yarn specified.

2. Juanita Williams says:

I seldom use the yarn requires on the pattern because I have a very large collection of yarn that I need to work from. I have a collection of quality yarn mostly DK and fingering.

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Juanita,
      That’s great that you have such a vast collection to chose from! Thank you for dropping a comment!

Jaclyn

3. liz n. says:

If I substitute, it’s for a similar weight yarn. Often, the pattern calls for a specific yarn that turns out to cost $25/skein–or more–and I can’t always afford to buy five, six, or seven skeins at that price.

If the pattern calls for a yarn I do not like (usually a cheap, crappy yarn), I will DEFINITELY use something else!

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Liz,
      I have had to substitute yarns myself for various reasons as well, I think it helps you become even more familiar with fiber contents and weight which is always helpful to a knitter!

Thank you for your comment!
      Jaclyn

4. Sharon says:

Most often, I choose my own yarn unless the yarn in the pattern is to die for!

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Sharon,

Any particular reason why you substitute yarn? Or is it your way to put that extra personal touch on your project?

Thanks for the comment!
      Jaclyn

5. Chris says:

I seldom use what is called for either because I can’t find it locally or because it is too expensive.

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Chris,

I’ve had to substitute too when I could not find the yarn called for, sometimes it makes me feel like I’m making the design my own when I do that though!

Thank you for the comment!
      Jaclyn

6. Daisy Taft says:

I choose my own yarn so that it says that is me.I love red heart yarn the best. I have a lot of stash. Lol

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Daisy!

I think that’s a great way to make a project “your own”!

Thank you for commenting!

Jaclyn

7. Sue says:

I often substitute if I have something in my stash that gives comparable gauge or use a yarn available at my LYS.

8. Pam Huffman says:

A lot of times it is the color that attracts me to a pattern. If so, I try to stay with the pattern recommendations. However due to availability, budget, etc., I often must adapt patterns. I also love to browse “yarn”. This means I have to find the pattern to fit the “amazing find” from the new yarn store!

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Pam!

I agree! Half the fun of starting a new project is picking out just the “right” yarn!

Thank you for leaving your thoughts!
      Jaclyn

9. Mary says:

I use a yarn that I have most of the time but on occasion I have used the yarn that is called for if I can find it.

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Mary!

I find that’s one of the many reasons it’s practical to keep a yarn stash! (Or at least that’s what I tell myself as I buy yet another skein at a LYS!)

Thanks for the comment!
      Jaclyn

10. Dottie Caldwell says:

Most of the time I have to substitute yarn as we have only one small yarn shop in my area. I will usually check out the yarn that I am considering on Ravelry to see how much others have liked the projects that they have made with the new yarn. I don’t mind doing a bit of math to make sure that I get the proper size with my own gauge. I had rather do a little math rather than try to match the gauge of the pattern writer.

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Dottie!

That’s a great tip to check out on Ravelry to see how others have liked the yarn in completed projects! I will have to do that myself in the future!

Thanks for the great tip!

Jaclyn

• knittypat says:

What a great use of Ravelry. I will have to make a note to do that. I dislike buying yarn and then finding I don’t like working with it. Especially if it is costly.!

11. Linda says:

Rarely

12. knittypat says:

I seldom use the yarn suggested. Besides having a huge stash (Think the Yarn Harlot), I am very picky about the color and feel of the yarn.

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Pat!

I can be very picky about the yarn I use, too which is probably one of the many reasons I can spend HOURS at a yarn store simply feeling and admiring the different yarns!

Thank you for the comment!
      Jaclyn

13. margie says:

It depends on the project. If the item is sold in a kit, 90% of the time I’ll purchase it that way. But, for a pattern in a magazine or book, 90% I will substitute the yarn. It comes from my stash or yarn I can get locally.

• Jaclyn says:

Hi Margie,

I think kits are a great idea and way to get your yarn and the pattern all at once!

Thank you for the comment!

Jaclyn