Free Baby Hat Project of the Month - July
Bodacious Bobble Hat
Design by Irina Poludnenko
Everyone will follow your lead with fun bobbles.
Always have your scissors handy by tying them onto a pretty piece of ribbon. You can attach them to your yarn bag or wear them around your neck.
Child's small (medium, large) Instructions are given for smallest size, with larger sizes in parentheses. When only 1 number is given, it applies to all sizes.
Circumference: 16 (17 3/4, 19 1/2) inches
- Filatura di Crosa Zara 8 (worsted weight; 100% extrafine merino wool; 87 yds/50g per ball):
- 2 balls each kelly green #1727 (A), bright purple #1936 (B) and fuchsia #451 (C)
- Size 8 (5mm) double-point (set of 5) and 16-inch circular needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- Size F/5 (3.75mm) crochet hook
- Stitch markers (1 in CC for beg of rnd)
18 sts and 32 rnds = 4 inches/10cm in pat st.
To save time, take time to check gauge.
- Stripe (any number of sts)
- Rnd 1: With A, knit.
- Rnd 2: With A, purl.
- Rnds 3 and 4: With B, knit.
- Rnds 5 and 6: Rep Rnds 1 and 2.
- Rnds 7 and 8: With C, knit.
- Rep Rnds 1–8 for Stripe pat.
When working Stripe pattern, carry colors not in use up inside of hat.
Change to double-point needles when stitches no longer fit comfortably on circular needle.
- With A, cast on 72 (80, 88) sts; pm for beg of rnd and join, taking care not to twist sts. Beg with Rnd 2, work [Rnds 1–8 of Stripe pat] 5 (6, 7) times, and then work Rnds 1 and 2 once more.
- Next rnd: Continuing in Stripe pat, *k9 (10, 11), pm; rep from * around.
- Dec rnd: *Knit to 2 sts before marker, k2tog; rep from * around-64 (72, 80) sts.
- Continue in Stripe pat and rep Dec rnd [every 4th rnd] 7 (8, 9) times-8 sts rem.
- Work 14 more rnds in Stripe pat.
- With A, bind off.
- Weave in all ends.
- Make 8 With B, cast on 3 sts. Row 1: K1, [k1, yo, k1, yo, k1] in next st, k1-7 sts.
- Row 2: Purl.
- Row 3: Knit.
- Row 4: Purl.
- Row 5: K1, ssk, k1, k2tog, k1-5 sts.
- Row 6: K1, p3tog, k1-3 sts.
- Row 7: K3tog and put resulting st on crochet hook.
- Cut yarn, leaving a 5-inch tail.
- With crochet hook and A, beg with the last st of bobble, chain 20 sts, attach with sl st to a boundoff st on hat, turn; work a sl st in each chain st, cut yarn and fasten off.
- Using 5-inch tail and tapestry needle, draw through edge sts to form bobble.
- Weave all ends inside bobble.
- Make 7 more bobble tassels with 3 bobbles in B and 4 bobbles in C; work all tassel cords in A and attach each 1 to next bound-off st on top of hat. Make tassel cords different lengths as desired.
Copyright © 2012, Creative Knitting Magazine
Click here to download the PDF (183.0 KB)
|Other Baby Hat projects in the series:|
Other project series: