Free Baby Hat Project of the Month - August
Pixie Stocking Cap & Booties
Design by Erssie Major
Spread a little "pixie dust" with this enchanting bootie and cap ensemble.
Infant's 0-3 (3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12-18) months Instructions are given for smallest size, with larger sizes in parentheses. When only 1 number is given, it applies to all sizes.
Hat circumference: 13 3/4 (14 1/2, 16, 16 3/4, 17 1/2) inches
Hat length: 13 (15 1/4, 17, 21, 24 1/4) inches (excluding pompom)
Bootie circumference: 4 1/4 (5, 5 3/4, 6 1/2, 7 1/4) inches
Foot length: 3 1/2 (3 3/4, 4, 4 1/4, 4 3/4) inches
- Colinette Cadenza (DK weight; 100% merino wool; 131 yds/50g per hank): 2 (2, 3, 3, 3) hanks in Mardi Gras #155
- Size 6 (4mm) double-pointed needles (set of 5) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Stitch marker
- Pieces of cardboard (or pompom maker)
- 1 jingle bell
- 22 sts and 28 rnds = 4 inches/10cm in St st.
- To save time, take time to check gauge.
N1, N2, N3, N4: Needle 1, Needle 2, Needle 3, Needle 4
Wrap and Turn (W&T): Bring yarn to RS of work between needles, slip next st pwise to RH needle, bring yarn around this st to WS, slip st back to LH needle, turn work to begin working back in the other direction.
Work wrapped sts and wraps tog (WW): On RS: Knit to wrapped st, slip the wrapped st pwise from LH needle to RH needle. Use tip of LH needle to pick up wrap(s) and place it/them on RH needle. Slip wrap(s) and st back to LH needle and knit them tog.
On WS: Purl to wrapped st, slip the wrapped st kwise from LH needle to RH needle. Use tip of LH to pick up wrap(s) and place it/them on RH needle. Slip wrap(s) and st back to LH needle and purl them tog.
The socks are worked from the cuff down on 4 double-pointed needles with a picot hem, short-row heel and wedge toe.
N1 and N2 hold heel/sole stitches; N3 and N4 hold instep stitches.
- Cast on 76 (80, 88, 92, 96) sts and distribute evenly among 4 dpns with 19 (20, 22, 23, 24) sts on each dpn; place marker for beg of rnd and join, taking care not to twist sts.
- Knit 6 rnds.
- Next rnd (picot turning edge): *Yo, k2tog rep from * around. Knit 6 rnds.
- Next rnd (joining rnd): With LH needle, pick up first cast on st, then knit it tog with first st of rnd, *pick up next cast on st and knit it tog with next st; rep from * around, joining hem.
- **Dec rnd: *K1, k2tog, knit to last 3 sts on first needle, ssk, k1; rep from * on each of the other 3 needles-68 (72, 80, 84, 88) sts.
- Knit 8 (10, 10, 12, 14) rnds.
- Rep from ** until 12 (16, 16, 12, 16) sts rem.
- Cut yarn, leaving a 5-inch tail.
- Using tapestry needle, thread tail through rem sts, and pull tight.
Cut two cardboard circles each 2 inches in diameter. Cut a hole in the center of each circle, about 1/2-inch in diameter. Thread a tapestry needle with a length of yarn doubled. Holding both circles together, insert needle through center hole, over the outside edge, through center again until entire circle is covered and center hole is filled (thread more length of yarn as needed). With sharp scissors, cut yarn between the two circles all around the circumference. Using two 12-inch strands of yarn, slip yarn between circles and overlap yarn ends 2 or 3 times to prevent knot from slipping, pull tightly and tie into a firm knot. Remove cardboard and fluff pompom by rolling it between your hands. Trim even with scissors, leaving tying ends for attaching pompom to project.
Attach pompom to top of hat, then take yarn ends to WS to attach a small jingle bell to the inside of the hat. Be careful to secure the bell so that it cannot be taken off by a baby’s fingers.
- Cast on 24 (28, 32, 36, 40) sts and distribute evenly on 4 dpns with 6 (7, 8, 9, 10) sts on each dpn; place marker for beg of rnd and join, taking care not to twist sts.
- Knit 6 rnds.
- Next rnd (picot turning edge): *Yo, k2tog; rep from * around.
- Knit 6 rnds.
- Next rnd (joining rnd): With LH needle, pick up first cast-on st, then knit it tog with first st of rnd, *pick up next cast-on st and knit it tog with next st; rep from * around, joining hem. Knit 8 (10, 10, 12, 12) rnds.
- Purl 1 rnd (turning rnd).
- Turn work and start working rnd in opposite direction so that WS becomes RS and cuff folds back on purl edge.
- Knit 15 (17, 17, 19, 19) rnds.
- Next rnd: *K2, yo, k2tog; rep from * around.
- Knit 5 rnds.
- Slip sts on N2 to N1 for heel, leaving rem sts on hold on N3 and N4 for instep.
- Row 1 (RS): Working on heel sts only, knit to last st, W&T.
- Row 2: Purl to last st, W & T.
- Row 3: Knit to 1 st before previously wrapped st, W&T.
- Row 4: Purl 1 st before previously wrapped st, W&T.
- Rep Rows 3 and 4 until 4 (4, 5, 6, 6) sts are wrapped on each side of the toe, leaving 4 (6, 6, 6, 8) sts unwrapped in the center.
- Row 5: Knit to first wrapped st, WW, W&T.
- Row 6: Purl to first wrapped st, WW, W&T.
- Row 7: Knit to first double-wrapped st, WW, W&T.
- Row 8: Purl to first double-wrapped st, WW, W&T.
- Rep Rows 7 and 8 until all sts have been worked and 1 double-wrapped st rem at each end.
- Rnd 1: With N1, k6 (7, 8, 9, 10); with N2, knit to double-wrapped st, WW; with N3 and N4: knit across, place marker for beg of rnd.
- Rnd 2: WW last double-wrapped st, knit around.
- Work even in St st until foot measures approx 2 3/4 (3, 3 1/4, 3 1/2, 4) inches or 3/4 inch short of desired length.
- Dec rnd: N1: K1, ssk, knit to end; N2: knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; N3 and N4: work as for N1 and N2-20 (24, 26, 32, 36) sts.
- Rep Dec rnd until 8 sts rem. Graft sole and instep sts using Kitchener st (see PDF).
Cut 3 strands each 1 yd long. Fold in half, tie ends tog, and secure folded end to a stationary object. Twist yarn until it begins to double back on itself. Fold in half again with both ends together and allow to twist upon itself. Tie a knot a short way from each end, then cut end to make a small tassel. Tie 2 more knots on either side of the center of the cord, then cut between these 2 knots, resulting in 2 twisted cords.
Thread each cord through eyelets on each of the booties and tie bows at front. Weave in all ends.
Copyright © 2014 Annie's
Click here to download the PDF (1.4 MB)
|Other Baby Hat projects in the series:|
Other project series: