The Editor Wants to Know Your BURNING Knitting Questions!

The Editor Wants to Know Your BURNING Knitting Questions!

1641130307_37d_square

It’s an age old question: do you prefer circular or double point needles?

When knitting in  the round, it has been standard to use double-point needles when knitting small circumference areas such as the top of a hat.

But with the use of the magic loop method, circulars are a very real possibility for sock knitters and those who may be intimidated by using double-point needles.

So my question to you is this:

Do you prefer to use double-point needles or use the magic loop method with circulars when knitting in the round?

If you’re loving these weekly Facebook Live videos, please share with your friends and don’t forget to like the Creative Knitting Facebook Page so you can stay in the loop for the next video! Don’t forget to use the hashtags: #TheEditorWantstoKnow and #CreativeKnittingMagazine

Join me on the Creative Knitting Facebook Page! To watch all the archived videos, click here.

58 Responses to The Editor Wants to Know! – Circulars Knitting Needle or Double-Points? Join the Conversation on Facebook LIVE!

1. Georgia says:

I love circular needles. I feel better not worrying about my stitches falling off and putting my project aside is very easy when it is on a circular needle.

Hi Georgia!

I couldn’t agree more! Circular needles always take out a lot of the stress that is involved with DPNs which is one of the reasons I prefer to work with circulars in general!

Thank you for the comment! 🙂

2. Julie says:

Circulars always! All those points on DPNs just confuse me – although I can get by if I have to!

Hi Julie!

Right? If it’s absolutely needed, sure- I’ll use the DPNs, but if it’s my choice in the matter? Circulars are my go-to!

3. Lisa says:

Strangely enough, I used to use circular needles only for very large blankets/afghans, etc because of the cable and DPNS for all projects circular. But now I use circulars for almost everything. I love magic loop for anything round, and I even use circulars for flat projects, especially if knitting duplicates, which I can do simultaneously for consistency.

Hi Lisa,

I started out using DPNs mainly for sock knitting as I love making socks, then I was shown the magic loop and it was game over. I pretty much use circulars for anything I can now!

4. liz n. says:

I use both pretty equally, sometimes even on one project.

Hi Liz!

So no preference between the two? Do you find that DPNs are easier to use in more tight spaced projects or no?

• liz n. says:

I prefer circulars for flat knitting large projects, like blankets, because it just makes sense…and yes, DPNs work much, much better for me with tight spots, such as socks and baby booties. But for the most part, DPNs and circulars are interchangeable for me.

5. SL says:

ALWAYS circs – just learned magic loop for sleeves and LOVE! Signature Needles stiletto are my go to choice every time!

Hi SL!

I haven’t used those needles before… now I know what my next needle purchase is going to be!

Thank you for the comment (and recommendation)!

6. Jean J. says:

I use circular needles for all projects. If I get to a really small section I may add a DP or use 2 circular needles if necessary.

Hi Jean,

I fiddled with DPNs for what felt like forever while making socks before I was brought into the light that is using circulars for them! Since then I try to use a circular as often as possible.

7. stefanie says:

I prefer circulars and magic loop but dpns are fine too. I just like portable knitting. I don’t really know how to “translate” a pattern to do in magic loop if it has certain built in characteristics for dpn work (dividing stitches certain ways) so would welcome help with that. I’m pretty adventurous and like to try new things for fun, but I do love circulars. A lot of new knitters ask me questions in public about them I find. They get excited when I explain.

Hi Stefanie,

Hmm, maybe that could be a good idea for a tutorial! 😀 Thank you for the idea! I know what you mean about circulars, they seem to have a draw to them that people want to know what you’re doing when out it public (which I am always just too happy to share my love of knitting and circulars with them!).

8. Kathy Beaumont says:

I have used Circs for flat projects, even small ones for years. I have only recently used magic loop because I started doing socks with lace and fancy stitches. The first time a bunch of stitches fell off the back of a DPN I got online and learned magic loop. With plain knitting I love the dons though. It’sike a puzzle.

Hi Kathy,

I know the pain and frustration and watching a bunch of stitches slide off your DPNs, ESPECIALLY when doing lace.

9. Sherry Walker says:

Circulars!!

10. Marianne Inman says:

I don’t mind the DPN’s, I’ve never learned the Magic Loop, I get confused with the 2 circular’s but not the 3-4 dpn needles. Maybe someday I will find a person who has patience to teach me the Magic Loop.

11. Bobbie Chapman says:

I only use circular needles for round or flat patterns. When I come to the crown of a hat I use a second set of circulars to finish it off. I also use two circular needles to knit socks. Magic loop confuses me and DPNs are just too many points for me to keep track of.

Hi Bobbie,

What method do you use for circulars to knit socks? I am always fascinated to hear other knitter’s techniques!

12. carol says:

Circulars — I only use DPs for the very tiny, like mitten thumbs or the tops of hats. I have 8″ and 9″ circs in many sizes which I love.

Hi Carol,

Yes! That’s when I find DPNs to be the most beneficial, I’ve tried with the magic loop but I find the cables to be cumbersome in that case!

13. Deb Scholl says:

I use circular for everything except socks. Just can’t take that step yet.

Hi Deb,

I sometimes still use DPNs for socks, it just depends if I’m going to be traveling with the project or have that as a rainy day project at home.

14. Candi says:

I much prefer circulars, mostly because I am always stuffing my knitting in a to-go bag and slippery dpns often fall out. When knitting on a long circular, I can push the stitches way back from the ends of the needles so there’s less chance of losing my stitches.

15. Consuelo Cabuto says:

Like circular needles.

16. Agnes Smith says:

I prefer my Denise circular needles versus the DPN’s as I knit fairly loose so the DPN’s keep falling out. I have tried the Magic Loop and love it.

17. Helen King says:

I prefer circular needles. They are so much easier and you don’t have to worry about ladders as much. I do use dpn’s on small items though.

Hi Helen,

I can understand that, sometimes DPNs can be easier and more comfortable to use rather than circulars for small projects!

Thank you for commenting!

18. Kris Slager says:

Definitely circulars! Since I learned how to do the Magic Loop, I’m NEVER messing around with DPNs again! 🙂

19. Once I learned Magic Loop with circs, I never went back to DPNs. I even use Magic Loop for glove fingers–so much faster and easier than DPNs.

Hi Amanda,

I love using circs for anything possible, every straight knitting as I find it to be so much more fluid while knitting than with straights.

20. Caroline says:

I have used both extensively. Usual rule of thumb is that if the piece is small, I use by preference the DPN’s, but if it is large I always go circular. So for me is depends upon the work that I choose to do.

Hi Caroline,

I think that is a great rule of thumb and can be very useful to most knitters!

Thank you for the comment and the tip,

21. Joy Wheeler says:

I love circular pins. I use them most of the time whatever I am knitting. Over the years I have found the best way to get sleeves the same length was to knit both a the same time. Then getting too clever by half decided that I would do the same for the fronts and lo and behold now I do back and fronts so I need long long needles. Am I the only knitter to do this surley not!

Hi Joy,

That is quite the trick you learned and definitely cuts your time in half!

Thank you for the comment and the tip!

22. Karen S. says:

I have always used DPN’s for my sock knitting. I’m an old dog and a little intimidated by new tricks LOL. I actually did a happy dance when they started putting 5 needles in the package as it made it just a bit easier dividing the stitches.

Hi Karen!

Circular knitting is a breeze and the magic loop can be very easily learned, we even offer a class all on circular knitting taught by Patty Lyons that can help you learn the magic loop!
      Check it out here: Link

Thanks for the comment!

23. Pamela Dorman says:

As a young girl I had to use DPNs because there was no such things as circular needles. All I can say is – thank goodness someone had the foresight to realise there was an easier way & so they designed circular needles and now I am over 80 and even straight knit on the circulars because I like the shorter needles because they are easier to use when you have arthritic hands. Heartfelt thanks to whomever was the clever designer.

Hi Pamela,

I’m so glad that you found circular needles and are able to keep on knitting even with arthritis! Do you prefer to use bamboo circulars as well? Bamboo is even better for arthritis so if not, it’s definitely something you should try out!

24. Shirley E. says:

I love the non-drop property of circular needles. Have not had occasion to use dp needles in awhile, but don’t think I will if I can do otherwise. Just finished a hat with 2 circulars used like dp’s. Works so nicely. Interruptions didn’t mess me up either.

Hi Shirley,

I’m glad you find the magic loop method useful and easier than dpns!

25. Marilyn Rotman says:

I usually use circulars for all my flat knitting, love not having to pick up my empty needle that I drop at the end of every row when using 2 regular needles. I use magic loop when forced to — I’m one of those funny people that doesn’t mind using dpn’s. I can and do use magic loop, but I find it very fiddly and my knitting doesn’t seem to flow as well when I use this method.

Hi Marilyn,

I think many people can find magic loop to seems futzy and just plain awkward so I can understand why you would prefer dpns!

26. janet powell says:

I prefer circular needles, have not been able to navigate those double-pointed needles.

27. Barb says:

I use double points mostly, but recently have discovered Hiya Hiya’s 9 inch circulars with the short needles. EUREKA, I have never been able to figure out the Magic Loop.

28. Anne Scott says:

Circulars do it for me all the time, especially for socks where I use magic loop. I was first taught to do crew and polo necks with dpns and still find them awkward to use. Hooray for circulars, which I now use for everything, as I find, especially with long rows, that the weight ‘in my hands’ is considerably reduced.

29. Jamy says:

I haven’t mastered magic loop yet. I’ve tried several projects but it just doesn’t seem to flow for me but I use circulars all the time for large projects. I’ve done several log cabin lapghans exclusively on circs and a handful of hats, scarves, mitts, etc. I travel a lot so I like small project portability and circs travel well. That said, I recently discovered knitting in the round on 2 straight needles and I Love it. I have 2 mitten projects on the needles I started with that technique. 1 pair is now on 2 #2 dpns (yarnovers and k2togs don’t work as well w that technique) and the 2d is sitting on a single #7dpn, both waiting to bring the “spare” dpn into play and cranking along.

30. kim says:

I tend to lean to double points. I have shifting the needles around on the cord. Now for socks I have bought some 9 inch and with my huge hands they can make my hands cramp. Seems like it takes a few seconds longer to complete a round. I own 16 in set needles, double points and circular needs and will do both.. Ok moment of truth its which needle is the fastest to grab lol.

31. Vickie says:

Circular needles and magic loop. I find DPN’s too fiddly.