Editor Wants to Know! What Do You Struggle With?
The Editor Wants to Know!

We all have struggles in life, and that also includes knitting. What is that thing that you struggle with? How would you like to improve in this area?

I find for myself it’s probably finding quality time to knit! I have a five, soon to turn six year old son who is incredibly active, so that’s where my focus is these days. I know this time won’t last forever, and there will come a time when I’ll be able to devote more time to knitting.

London keeps me busy. Sometimes I can knit a few stitches from time to time. As long as he gets to be involved in the process!

My son London keeps me busy! Sometimes I can sneak in a few stitches from time to time. As long as he gets to be involved in the process, he’s a happy boy!

So my question to you today is: When it comes to knitting, what do you struggle with most?

1. Finding the time to knit.
  2. Obtaining the yarns I like at a good price.
  3. Not having the skills to take my knitting to the next level.
  4. Lack of confidence in my abilities.
  5. I don’t have access to a local yarn shop or support group of knitters.

If there’s something else that you struggle with that’s not addressed here, please share your thoughts!

8 Responses to Editor Wants to Know! What Do You Struggle With?

1. Melanie says:

It seems that time is the biggest factor for me. If I could knit more, my skills would progress and the confidence would develop. One thing that has helped is not being satisfied with my knitting if there is a mistake somewhere a few rows back or in my reading of the pattern. Un-knitting and having another run at the pattern from the place of the “design feature” has taught me better observation of symbols in a pattern, a new technique, and builds knowledge that helps me in a next project. There’s still a long way to go before I will be considered an advanced knitter but like the tortoise of Aesop’s Fable, I keep plugging away.

Hi Melanie,
      I also find un-knitting to be frustrating as well, but it ALWAYS ends up being a tremendous learning experience. I just have to remind myself to take a deep breath, have a little patience and keep moving forward!

2. Judi says:

Affording the quality & quantity
    required is the huge challenge.
    KNIT ON :)

Hi Judi,
      I hear you! Knitting can be an expensive hobby and I know I’m always tempted to purchase the expensive yarns! I think though there are lots of options these days to get good value for the money if you’re willing to spend the time searching for it. I love the one skein projects that allow me to use that one one beautiful skein to make a shawl or neckerchief. I also like to combine different yarns/colors in one project so I can use my stash yarns more if I can’t afford to purchase several skeins of one yarn/color. It’s good to look for resourceful ways to keep on knitting!

3. Cheryl R says:

I am on a medical disability. The natural fibers that I like most are extremely expensive. I have to wait for a sale (rarely), a tax refund (quarterly) or some occasion such as Mother’s Day or a birthday to receive quality yarns.

As part of my recovery from a traumatic brain injury, knitting was added to my rehab since it calmed me so much, took my mind off the pain, etc. It means, however, that I use a LOT of yarn. I keep trying to win a contest but so do thousands of others.

On that note, it’s back to my knitting…my sedative before bed!

4. Anita says:

I think I would do more projects if I had more intelligence on choosing the best yarn. I’ll see some pattern or project, and wonder “How would this look in another color?”, then when I look at the color selection for the project and don’t find it in a color I want to go elsewhere and panic because I’m not sure when purchasing online what would be identical. So I ultimately abandon the project before I start it. My ignorance in yarns is very frustrating!

Hi Anita,
      I totally understand your frustration, most especially when you purchase online because it’s it can be hard to comprehend sometimes because you can’t tough and feel the yarn in person, or even how it will drape in the finished piece. Also, knowing gauge just isn’t enough sometimes because maybe the original pattern calls for a wool blend yarn, but you fall in love with cotton blend, but you may not realize it’s not a comparable fit. The best rule of thumb when you’re purchasing online is to go with the same weight/gauge/similar fiber content. This will give you a pretty close match. In many cases, if you find a project you like, many yarn substitutes are offered right next to the pattern.

I’m so glad that you pointed this out, because this could be a great article for the magazine and here on the blog. I find that there’s just not enough information about this out there on this subject.

Thanks again for sharing!

5. Regina K says:

my problem is finding patterns that are challenging enough. most things these days seem to be for the beginning or, at most, intermediate knitter. that usually means i end up designing my own patterns but sometimes it’s nice to be able to just follow someone else’s idea.