The Editor Wants to Know!

In this edition of The Editor Wants to Know, I’d like to ask you a few simple questions in an effort to understand what kind of topics you like seeing on this blog.

When I first ¬†started this blog back in 2011, I created this post¬†about the differences and similarities of Seed and Moss Stitch. Instead of showing you how to work a stitch pattern on camera, I decided to share a short historical background about the techniques, along with a little “show and tell” segment, which I personally found to be the most fun.

Click Below to Watch the Video: Seed vs. Moss Stitch

Click to watch the video: Seed vs. Moss Stitch

So this got me thinking– if this is the most watched video, then why? I came to the following three conclusions:

1. It gives you something of value.
  2. It provides information and education–which you can take and use immediately.
  3. Last but not least– I had so much fun creating this video! I love this kind of “show and tell” presentation because it’s more entertaining then having to look at my boring hands! How many more videos do we need like that?

My goal is to always present the material I share in a way that excites and inspires you, so if you can answer these questions, it will help me greatly in achieving my desire to serve you.

Please feel free to be as descriptive as you’d like. There are no right or wrong answers, just different preferences!

Q: When you visit this blog, what are your favorite topics?

Q: Do you like reading the posts that only pertain to tutorials?

Q: Do you like variety and enjoy a mix of tutorials and articles?

Q: Do you like the special features such as Mindful Mondays and The Editor Wants to Know?

Now go share in the comments section about the topics that resonate with you most. I can’t wait to hear from you!

15 Responses to The Editor Wants to Know- What blog topics do you like best? Tutorials? Articles? Combo of both? Share your thoughts!

1. Judy Menzel says:

Thanks for asking. No favorite blog topics. I love knitting, so just about anything relating to it is interesting. I do enjoy the variety of both tutorials & articles. Yes, I enjoy both Mindful Mondays (gives me pause for thought) and The Editor Wants To Know (not only love being asked for my opinion, but enjoy seeing what others think as well).

2. Nancy Bowers says:

I appreciate knowing what kinds of thread and size of needles you recommend for the different patterns/projects that you are covering. I am not that knowledgeable of the many threads that are offered in today’s world. I enjoy reading the mix of tutorials and articles maybe because I am somewhat of a history buff. Thank you so much for the work/time that you take to help each and every knitter!!

3. Barbara says:

I like to know about any new yarns, patterns, techniques and tips. I also would like to learn about all the different yarns and their features. Seems that there are new yarns often. I also like to know about knitting for causes like hats for premies. Thanks for asking.

4. Barbara says:

Also love tutorials for tricky stitches. Archived is best.

5. Cheryl Ryshpan says:

I’m interested in learning techniques, about different yarns and needle size. Since I’ve just retired, I want to take my knitting to a higher level, to undertake challenging patterns with thorough knowledge of the stitching and techniques required. I prefer step by step pictures to a video tutorial. I seem to learn smarter from that. Having these tutorials archived is an asset. Thank you for helping us to learn.

6. Doris says:

Ever since I began receiving your blog, I have been blown away by the tutorials demonstrating tricky or unfamiliar techniques or stitches. I have files on various topics in knitting to which I refer often when I have questions or hit a brick wall—and your blog tutorials are front and center printouts!!! Guess that’s why I like Creative Knitting mag, too. You’re practical and down-to-earth, relevant to my needs as a middle-of-the-road knitter!

Wow, Doris. I’m glad all my hard work means something! That’s what this is all about for me. Giving and sharing all that I know as a knitter. I’m by no means and expert, but I will always be here to encourage you to always have confidence. As the late, great Elizabeth Zimmermann once said: “Knit on with confidence and hope, through all crises.”

Have a wonderful day!

7. Karen says:

You do such a wonderful job, I think its a combination of educational and inspiration. Reviewing techniques, new techniques, learning stitches. I love the fact that there is different ways to do practically everything.

Hi Karen,

I do try to educate and inspire, so I guess I’m on track :)

I’m so happy that you enjoy reading the topics I present. This is all great information and fuel for future posts/tutorials.

Thanks so much to you and everyone!

8. Joan Wright says:

I love new pattern stitches and video demos of them.
    I try to read all the posts when there is time and there aren’t so many that you get bogged down.
    yes, I like variety and special features.

9. Lori Willis says:

I am new to your site, but I enjoy the articles. The tutorials are simple and easy to follow.
    Have you ever shown one on switching colors in the middle of a row? I’ve been knitting for a LONG time, but my joining never looks ‘tidy’ Thanks.

10. MJ says:

Hello Kara,

I enjoy Creative Knitting Newsletters very much. Thank you for the opportunity of giving my input.

Coming from the garment industry as a designer and pattern drafter, and being a relatively new knitter, I am on the STEEP end of the learning curve. I would seriously like to become a knitwear designer and pattern writer.

Daily research and knitting has brought me far. However I find information on tips and techniques only goes so far, which is very frustrating. The only knitters I know are internet friends and I find we are at about the same level of knowledge. Almost all of them feel I know much more than they do. That has to be my understanding of textile garments coming through. Oh, what I’d give to sit with Elizabeth Zimmerman!!!

I would LOVE more PHOTO (video goes too fast) instruction on tips and techniques. An archive would be perfect. That is not to say that I do not enjoy articles… I do.

Thank you again for your query. I am looking forward to the coming posts on Creative Knitting.

HAPPY KNITTING!