Join Us for a Special Knitalong Series–Learn a Stitch, Share the Love!

It’s time for a knitalong– grab your needles and join me for four fun-filled weeks of free washcloth patterns to make and share!

Get ready for an exciting event that you don’t want to miss! For four weeks, from Friday, February 14th, through Friday, March 7th, Creative Knitting’s online newsletter editor Tabetha Hedrick and I will be bringing you a free washcloth pattern each week that you can make for yourself, share with someone special, or give to your favorite charity.

Stitch Block_2withgraphics

Here are 5 great reasons for making knitted washcloths:

1. Washcloth patterns are a practical way to learn new techniques on a small scale.
  2. They make great travel companions– what a perfect knitting-on-the go project!
  3. If you’re in a pinch for time, they make great quick-knit gifts.
  4. They have no special shaping or sewing, allowing you to focus strictly on the stitches.
  5. Little investment of time and money.

Swish with a Twist _ tutorial_with graphics

Here’s all you need to get started:

1. Visit Annie’s to pick out your colors of Premier® Yarns Home Cotton™ for all four washcloth patterns. All you need is one ball to complete each washcloth pattern.
  2. Visit the Creative Knitting Ravelry Fans Group and look for the knitalong announcement so you can follow along each week with Tabetha and me while you make your washcloths.
  3. Bookmark this page, then come back on Friday, February 14th to get your first pattern and tutorial.
  4. Mark your calendar to get the rest of the patterns on: February 21, & 28, and March 7th.

Have fun knitting and see you on Ravelry!

76 Responses to Join Us for a Special Knitalong Series–Learn a Stitch, Share the Love!

1. Bev Geldenhuis says:

Looking forward to learning new tecniques

2. Kat says:

Looks like great fun! I am looking forward to learning new stitches:)

3. Nora L says:

I would like to participate in the knitting lessons for the different/new stitches by making a washcloth.

4. Nora L says:

I tried to visit Creative Knitting Ravelry Fans Group but it would not let me visit … sadness

5. Georgi says:

sounds like fun

6. Loretha Dixon says:

I don’t do websites or social media very well. I just learned about Facebook, but only read what is there and hit the like and comment tabs.
    Will these washcloths be in the magazine as well?

Hi Loretha,
      These will not be published in the magazine…but even better– they are special patterns which will be available for free right here on the blog…forever! You will always have access to them!

7. Betty Brookman says:

I could not get into to knitalong site either. It just did not recognize my email address. It has not changed, so I do not understand why it can’t be recognize. Can you help me? I would love to participate.

Hi Betty,
      2/14 is the day the actual knitalong begins, so it is not available yet. As for logging into Ravelry, you may want to double-check your password. Unfortunately, that is something I do not have access to.
      Thanks,
      Kara

8. Susannah says:

Can’t wait!

9. I don’t know how to knit, All I know is how to cast on European Style, My mom taught me 40 years ago and that is all I remember, I do Crochet a lot, but would love to learn how to knit, is this still a good thing for me to do? or should I do something easier/different? Thank you.

10. Laura Goh says:

Wish to join and using some wool which a friend has given to me. Intend to use them up. Is it ok with you.

Hi Laura,
      You can certainly use any yarn you would like. The yarn I’m using is my recommendation, because it’s a great cotton year, perfect for making washcloths. Just bear in mind that if you are using wool, these cannot be used as washcloths because there is a chance your washcloth will felt.
      Hope you have fun!

11. Dorothy Bell says:

I would love to join you to do this thank you.

12. Faye says:

I’m in!

13. GRene says:

Looking forward to joining y’all.

14. Ann says:

This is great for new knitters

Hi Ann,
      This is perfect for new knitters because you’re learning on such a small scale, which makes learning less overwhelming.

I hope you join me!

15. Gerda Godschalk says:

I would love to knit along and learn new stitches, looks like fun

16. Joy Thompson says:

Ok I cant get pass the Captcha code. How do I get into the blog for washcloths so I can join the group. Joy

17. Peggy Casselberry says:

Count me in.

18. Barb says:

Really looking forward to learning new stitches! What a great way to do it and not waste yarn! I have some cotton yarn just waiting for a project like this. Yay!

19. Christine Jeffers says:

Sometimes you fall back on the same old stitches because it is easier than trying out new stitches. What a great idea. Thanks

20. Lorene Frischknecht says:

Am I able to participate in the learning program without buying the yarn? I already have yarn with which to knit. Thanks, Lorie

21. Janice Kenyon says:

I am so looking forward to it! Thank You!

22. Sallyann says:

I haven’t done a knit along before. I think it should be fun and who doesn’t love handmade cloths??

23. Sallyann says:

Oops some of my message didn’t print.
    Please share what size needles we will need.

24. Rehana says:

I can’t wait to learn all these patterns

25. Claudette Millard says:

Yes please add me to the knit along

26. Jacqueline Diamond says:

Love to learn new stitches and patterns please keep me informed thank you.

27. Can not wait! Hope my yarn gets here in time :)

28. Karen Conde says:

Could not pick up the first pattern “Swish with a Twist. Got a message that site was not secure.

29. Barbara says:

Where are the free patterns. It is Friday, February 14 and no patterns. Help!!!!

30. Stella Shiraishi says:

I’m In !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. Barbara says:

It is 2:37 pm on Friday the 14 of February and STILL not instructions. Mercy…

32. Laura says:

Kept checking all day–am I missing the pattern and tutorial?

33. Janet Nuckles says:

Why can I not join the knit along. Is there a tutorial or is it just a pattern with no instruction???? Very frustrated. Waste of time.

34. Margaret McCamant says:

Is a pdf available of today’s–and others–pattern? Or at least a printable version?

Thanks,

Margaret McCamant

35. Stella Shiraishi says:

Sooo Excited to start with the rest of the ladies. First Kal.

36. Janet Leonard says:

Iam so excited. I would love to learn all the new stitches. I can’t wait… Let get started.

37. Reola Boyd says:

Love this pattern…I’m in!

38. Sally says:

I was unable to watch the tutorial. I am stuck on the line where I wrap 2, etc. If you wrap two, and then drop the second one on the next row, don’t you get a hole? Is there somewhere I can go to see the tutorial? I have tried different suggestions from the above comments to like in the tutorial but have been unsuccessful. Thank you.

39. Kari says:

I could not find the knitalong at the website Ravelry.
    Could you be more specific and put a link exactly to the place to go?
    thanks

40. Maidie Sharpe says:

When things are free in the field of crafting, I am so happy. I love to knit, crochet, needlepoint, and embroider—————–and, sew. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

41. Sally Morrison says:

I was hoping to follow along with the knitalong today, but alas, I didn’t have size 6 double pointed needles. I don’t have many needles, some even double pointed, but didn’t have size 6. Is there somewhere that you could publish what equipment is needed in advance. If there was such a place, I’m sorry, but I missed it. I would have really enjoyed knitting with everyone else. Thank you

Hi Sally,
      The materials are posted in the pattern, and just so you know, the knitalong does not necessarily end at a specific time. You can join in any time you want to!

42. Janet L says:

I normally can knit just to any kind of stitch, but for the life of me, this cable stitch will not work up right. I have had to unravel it over and over. I still can’t figure it out. I need someone to help me please. I would really appreciate it. Thanks Janet

43. Sue mavity says:

Where is the 2nd pattern, for 2/21? I can’t find it.

44. Dawnetta Wannop says:

Love the Swish Pattern. Took a few minutes to figure out that you cast on 44 stitches and knit 5 rows to form the border to begin. Instead of using the second cable needle I do what my grandmother used to call a “reach stitch”- where you insert your needle in the 3rd stitch on the left needle and knit it but don’t slip it off. Then knit the 1st and 2nd stitches and slip them all off at once. It gives the same appearance without fiddling with 2 cable needles Looking forward to making a pile of these to add to my gift “stash”

I love this suggestion!

Actually, this reminds me…I have a little secret– when I made my wash cloth, I didn’t even use a cable needle because since the stitches are slipped for a few rows, those “elongated” stitches stay put when you slip them off the needle to work the cable portion.

45. Carmen says:

I am having trouble with this pattern. On row 7 I only come up with 36 stitches worth of instruction, but I have 44 stitches. I assume that when I am doing the w2 k2 that I simply wrap the yarn around my needle 2 times and then knit 2 stitches then wrap around 2 more and then knit 4 stitches. So this uses a total of 6 stitches used for the repeat portion, and doing this 4 times is 24 stitches, then add 8 for the beginning for a total of 32. Then the final 4 stitches in the pattern and that is 36 stitches. Help??

Hi Carmen,
      I think you are talking about the Swish with a Twist pattern, correct? If so, then let me see if I can help:

On Row 7,you correct about how to wrap, but it does not result in 36 sts on your needle, because technically the wraps creates new stitches only on Row 7. Here’s the row in question:

Row 7: K8, [w2, k2, w2, k4] 4 times, end k4.

Translation:
      8 sts + [2 wraps + 2 sts + 2 wraps + 4 sts] (creating 4 “new” stitches here if you count your wraps, and you should arrive at a total of 52 sts)

However, on row 8, you drop the second wrap as noted in the pattern, which brings you back to the stitch count of 44.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

• Carmen says:

I was unclear. And, you are correct, I listed the wrong row number for the stitch sequence I a am having trouble with. I am having trouble with the row where I do the wrapping, not the unwrapping. I don’t have the correct number of stitches at the end of it. I somehow managed to get it correct one time, and had no problem with the “unwrapping” row, I just can’t get the stitches on my needle to match on the row where I wrap. On the row where I do the wrapping the pattern tells me what to do with less than 44 stitches.

Hi Carmen,
          I’m not sure how to explain it any other way, but if you keep ripping back, I think you’ll see where the problem is. Also, please join the Knitalong on the Ravelry Creative Knitting Fan Group because others have successfully completed the washcloth, and I’m sure they can provide even more insight for you. Good luck!

46. Bernice Melnyk says:

Loved doing this Switch with a twist, looking forward
    for Pattern #2

47. MaryLou says:

I can find the first 2 patterns but I have been on the Ralvery and can’t find the 3rd one