How Much Would You Spend on Yarn?

As editor of Creative Knitting magazine, it’s really important to know what our readers are looking for in the magazine. With that being said, I thought it would be a good idea to take a little poll and ask you the following questions:

1. When it comes to knitting a project for yourself such as a cardigan, pullover or an accessory, what you all are willing to spend on yarn? Choose from the choices below and please feel free to elaborate!

a. $45-55

b. $65-75

c. $75-85

d. The sky’s the limit! If I find a project I love, cost is not an issue.

2. Now, based on your selection above, where would you purchase the yarn?

a. At my local yarn shop.

b. At a big box craft store such as Michael’s or JoAnn.

c. Online stores such as Annie’s Attic.

Send in those comments…..I can’t wait to hear from you!

8 Responses to How Much Would You Spend on Yarn?

1. Julie says:

I’ll spend almost anything to make a pattern I love! Usually I end up ordering online because my LYS doesn’t stock enough of one dye lot.

2. sharon harris says:

Here are my answers: $45-55 on yarn for a project for me and would purchase it at my local yarn shop.

3. Carmen says:

I would like to spend as little as possible, but for a decent sweater I’d expect to pay $65-75 or more. I’d probably buy either at a local yarn shop or a big box store because I’d want to see the yarn up close and feel it before making such a big purchase.

4. Marilea says:

I would pay $45 to $55 dollars for the yarn and I would love to buy locally but the only shop near me caters mostly to spinners and weavers and in the Arizona desert I want to use cotton and cotton blends. I am always looking for cotton yarns online and I buy all my yarn from a variety of online yarn shops.

5. Judi says:

I will spend what ever I need to on yarn, even if I have to save for it. I don’t have a local yarn shop, so can only shop when I’m away from home or online. This gives me the luxury of an extremely large choice of yarn retailers.

6. julie says:

It depends on the project…for a sweater or pullover, i’ll spend $75-85. But if it’s an accessory, i’ll spend a lot less (around $40). I’ll buy from LYS and online…depending on whim and if there’s a sale!

7. sharon says:

If I find a project I like, I will spend what I need to for the look. Many times I do choose the yarn specified by the pattern; sometimes if I find a yarn I like I match it to the pattern.

Or, I will spin my own yarn for the project. Fun, fun, fun!

8. Marianne says:

Living on a disability income I would save for the $45 to $55 range, but would probably end up with a tad bit higher. I would purchase the yarn at one of the LYS stores in my area as they are so helpful at finding the “right” yarn for my projects. I rarely knit for myself but only use the best I can afford for gift projects. Besides my stores have great sales and wonderful owners!!