Combining knitting and crochet-- From your perspective, do you believe this to be a total faux pas, or do you absolutely relish in the thought of using both crafts together? Please share your thoughts!

Combining knitting and crochet– From your perspective, do you believe this to be a total faux pas, or do you absolutely relish in the thought of using both crafts together? Please share your thoughts!

Obviously, you’ve visited this blog, so it would be quite silly of me to ask if you are a knitter. At least, we know that much! In addition to your love of knitting, do you also enjoy crochet? If so, do you creatively combine both crafts in a unique and interesting way? Or, do you consider crochet and knitting used together to be heresy?

yay for crochet!

I personally enjoy combining the best of both worlds. I get excited exploring what I can do with a crochet hook in one hand, while having my knitting needles close by. I really love the flexibility that crochet has to offer and take advantage of using it to enhance my knitting.

Please answer this question: Are you all about knitting, and wouldn’t dare touch a crochet hook, or do you embrace both techniques and find it hard to just choose one?

32 Responses to The Editor Wants to Know: Combining Knitting and Crochet Together. Is this a BIG Knitting No No?

1. Knitting Kitty says:

Love both – -and will combine in the same project! And Tunisian crochet is an interesting variation!

2. mary says:

I love to combine the two in the same project. Switching back and forth is easier on my hands also. I usually have one knitting and one crochet project going at the same time

3. Millie says:

I love the idea of combining both knitting and crochet.

4. Jeanie says:

I do both. There are a lot of projects that I just fine faster and easier to crochet rather than knit. I also tend to think that they both fill their own niches. Some things are more crochet-ish and some things are more knit-ish. :-)

5. Sybil says:

I learned to crochet over 40 years ago but always wanted to learn to knit. I retired and took a knitting class six years ago. I love both, but my son says the crochet looks better.

6. Gail Mangiafico says:

I am a knitter, that is for sure. I would not mind a LITTLE bit of crochet, but not too much..

7. Lorena says:

Both but knit more. Just find it more enjoyable and relaxing. Also don’t care much for the “holes” in crochet unless it’s a lace pattern.

8. Christine says:

I use whatever is needed. once I crocheted a cardigan and it came out not wide enough so I picked up the sides and knitted until it was the right size.

9. Nance says:

Knitting is my thing. I do crochet but not very often. I prefer knit garments – they just feel softer and in my opinion look more fashionable and up to date. I have crocheted afghans in the past but never would use it for a sweater or anything like that and I never combine the two.

10. janis says:

I need to learn to crochet, but I love this idea. The patterns I have seen with both are lovely.

11. Marianne says:

I am trying to learn to crochet, but being left handed it isn’t coming naturally. I do knit right handed and I have been told I am an advanced beginner but I can manage most intermediate patterns.

• Myrtle Hoffpauir says:

I am left handed also. Learned to knit when I was a teenager and knit right handed. I’m 80 now. A few years ago I taught myself to crochet. i do that left-handed. I just “mirror” the directions when I crochet and for the most part I don’t have any trouble. Just doing it opposite from right handed crocheting. I crochet when I have to make something fast, since crocheting is much faster than knitting.

12. Kara says:

This is awesome! So what do you all think about the idea of a chapter in Creative Knitting that combines both knit and crochet? This could include a tutorial for ways to creatively alternate between the two in clever ways. Any takers?

13. maura says:

i like it. i do both knit and crochet, but it does seem like crochet is looked down on at my local yarn shops.

14. Rebecca says:

I have several combination projects in my Ravelry favorites. I think if it’s well done and there is a reason to be using both to achieve the look you want it’s a great idea!

I both knit and crochet about equally.

15. Carmen says:

I learned to crochet first so it will always have a special place in my heart. I would have no problem making patterns featuring both crafts – each has their strengths and weaknesses

16. Sandy Huff says:

I am a “taker”!!! I would love to see some combo stuff for sure!

17. Emily says:

I learned how to knit when I was 12. Later on I tried to learn [or rather teach myself] how to crochet. I found it more difficult so I set it aside. But I love to knit. However some times I do add in some crocheted material, generally one strand embellishments.

18. Marianne says:

I know very little about crochet, so I’d have to say no to combining with a knitting pattern. Maybe as I progress in this craft I’ll change my mind, but for now that tool with the hook on the end is my nemesis, LOL.

19. Jan says:

I have been crocheting for almost 50 years, and only learned to knit when I retired. I love both, and usually have at least one of each going at any given time. I see no problem with mixing the two. In fact, I prefer doing the edging in crochet on a knit project, since I find it much easier than picking up stitches.

20. Dottie says:

I prefer knitting even though I learned to crochet first and now I find crochet as a wonderful way to enhance my knitting. I even found a book about knitting loving crochet. My latest project is a scarf for my SIL and I crocheting on each side after finishing the knitting.

21. Peta says:

There should more patterns combining crochet (& I am not an accomplished crocheter, in fact I would say I am a rank amateur) & knitting. I can knit like a demon but have actually never seen a pattern combining the two. Shame. All creative people (& people who work with yarn are in this category) stifle creativity if they say no to any technique, or combination. There are things that only knitting can do & the same can be said for crochet. Combining the two will only take someone to take up the challenge. A crocheted medallion surrounded by knitted lace or cable in a circular jacket.There is a pattern I would like to see. Maybe the medallion replicated at the front or on each sleeve. There you go, there’s one idea already. Anybody else have some ideas.

22. Annette says:

I love combining knitting and crochet. Wish there were more patterns using both.

23. Glennis Farmer says:

When I retired 4 yrs ago I learned to knit.
    My first simple sweater was a V-neck for my
    granddaughter.
    I used 3 rows of crochet front & back post double
    crochet for the edging and around the V-Neck.
    Was so simple and looked great.
    A great and fast way for a ribbing pattern for
    knitted garments.

24. June says:

I would love to add crochet to my knitting, if I had a visual. I do not know how to crochet

25. jane harry says:

I use both. It is so much fun. It helps to put in sleeves easy. It gives you a world more of changes to personal crafts. I had to make changes to a sweater for a baby. It was to small. I crochet pieces in to make it biter. Also. You can use a hair comb ( for French twist) to clip on stands or bags to put yard through to keep it keep yard apart. And use floss color to fix holds in anything. Floss has more color that match anything

26. Keita Rieckhoff says:

Knit only. Crochet hooks are for weaving in ends. ;)

27. Linda says:

I like to knit and then put a crochet edging on the item, be it a blanket, a vest, a sweater, or a scarf. It is fun to embellish with the crochet.

28. Julie says:

I do both, but not in the same project although I would not rule that out. I like to switch back and forth because they use different arm and hand movements. I am a fairly new knitter (5 years). I crocheted for many years, but started to have elbow issues so took up knitting because I did not want to give up working with yarn! I find crocheting faster, but knitting is relaxing and doesn’t bother my elbow. I like the different feel of the fabric knitting makes, especially for garments. I love crocheted afghans, though, and have done at least 150 for babies over the years. Both are creative crafts that make lovely items.

• julie says:

I like both also. If I want a soft blanket, I will knit it. If it needs to be finished quickly or be sturdy, Crochet is the method I will use. When growing up, my Mother’s method was knit the sweater and edge it with crochet.

29. nancy in IN says:

I’m a knitter. I have crocheted and want to learn to do round scrubber from nylon net.