I love to ask this question because we’re all so different, and the methods we choose are all so personal. Sometimes I don’t mind using double-point needles for socks for example, but I’ll admit that having to juggle all those needles can make me tense.

When it comes to creating small-circumference projects, my method of choice is double-points, but it used to be Magic Loop. The reason I diverged from this method is because I found that having to pause and move the cable to work the opposite side affected my rhythm.

What kind of technique do you prefer when working small seamless projects?

28 Responses to The Editor Wants to Know: When Knitting Small Circumference Projects in the Round, What Technique Do You Prefer Best?

1. Marcia says:

You would have to put me down for (d) combination. Magic loop makes my hair hurt; two circular needles leave me in a puddle of twisted, knotted yarn. For mittens & socks, double pointed; for hats, short single circular until the number of stitches left in decrease requires moving to DPNs.

2. Julie Routon says:

I totally prefer 2 circular needles!!! I have never used DPN’s…

3. Sherry Walker says:

Double points or magic loop. I love making socks so either is good.

4. Nance says:

Much prefer double points. Tried magic loop but just wasn’t my thing.

5. Magic loop! Double points are slow….

6. For small circular projects, always double points!

7. Jennifer R. says:

I use DPNs or Magic Loop. It depends on the project. I haven’t gotten into a rhythm of using two circulars (yet).

8. Marianne says:

I use DPN’s I am too easily confused to even think about the magic loop or take me out and tie me to a tree if I ever think about 2 circulars at one time!!! I make socks, hats and other items on DPN’s they are my friends!! : )

9. chris says:

combination for me. 2 circulars for socks and 1 circular for hats. hate, hate, hate DPNs and I have to think too much to use magic loop. I knit because I enjoy it.

10. Doris says:

I prefer two circulars for most projects. They’re the easiest to manage.

11. Nancy says:

Double-points

12. VickiB says:

My go to is dpn’s – love those little needles.

13. janis says:

I use double points. Seems easier for me. Some day though I would like to use two circulars.

14. Pam McK says:

Always DPNs for small circumference projects.

15. Elizabeth says:

Two circulars most of the time. I do have some short circular needles that I use too. DPN as last type.

16. lawheezer says:

Magic Loop! Less needles to lose, and you can knit as tiny or as large as you want.

17. Debbie Ford-True says:

Two circulars

18. Karen says:

DPN’s only

19. Dottie says:

Two circulars are the best! Too fiddly with DPNs. There seems to be more of a chance of that dreaded laddering with dpns whereas magic loop has a more constant need to move the stitches around the needle.

20. Jeanette Cardin says:

Have never tried magic loop. Sounds scary. I like short circulars and finishing with DPS. Would like to try the 2 circulars.

21. Pearl Taylor says:

I just recently made 200 bady hats for the hospital. I used 4 double pointed needles. By far the best for me.

22. Moistly I use double points, or two round needles. I hate magic loop – I tried it once but don’t feel inclined to do it again. So I suppose you’d say I use a combination.

23. Kathi says:

I always use DP’s. I’ve never tried Magic Loop – looks scary to me, & my hands seem too large to manage 16″ circs. With the 16″ circs I find the needle portion too short for comfort.

24. Jonty says:

Magic loop always. DPNs drive me crazy. I’ve never tried two circulars.

25. Bea says:

Been knitting for 73 years. I always use double points for small circular knitting and one circular needle for large items. Ladders can be avoided if you tighten up the last stitch on the DP needle and the first stitch on the next needle.
    Bea

26. Sindy says:

Once I discovered two circulars I have never used anything else.

27. Barbara says:

I use a combination. Small circular, dpns , & magic loop. I just started using magic loop last year. Since I knit extremely loose (except on dpns), I don’t always have circulars small enough to get gauge. I like my socks on 0 or 00 & would have to use 000 or 0000 if I used magic loop.

28. Ellisen says:

Double points usually. Short circulars don’t seem to be flexible enough. Magic loop ok, but tedious. Would like to know how to use 2 circulars.