Do You Make Time for Knitting?
How do you set aside quality time to knit?

How do you set aside quality time to knit?

In today’s busy, noisy world it just gets harder and harder to find the time for everything, but it comes to doing what we love, there’s always time.

I knit mostly the morning. I usually listen to one of my favorite podcasts and happily knit for a few quiet hours.

So here’s my question to you: Do you make special preparations to ensure that you have time to knit each day? Or, if it is difficult to find the time daily, do you choose a certain day of the week? Perhaps weekends work best for you?

Please share your thoughts and ideas!

16 Responses to Do You Make Time for Knitting?

1. Judy Menzel says:

I recently moved to a small town that has a wonderful library. Since the move I’m finding it difficult to schedule knitting time. Fortunately the library has an informal knitting group that meets every Wednesday. I try to at put 2 hours at the library on my calendar weekly.

2. Kara says:

Hi Judy,

I think it’s great that you make knitting a priority by placing it on your calendar. This is a useful idea, and one I should try myself.

Thanks so much for sharing!

3. Jean J says:

I knit every evening while sitting in front of the TV. Why waste that time doing nothing?

Hi Jean,
      I totally agree…that’s exactly what *I try* to do each night after work. I have a high-energy five year old so I don’t get to do it for very long!

4. Martina says:

Every night around 8.30 I sit down with my knitting whilst watching tv for about an hour or an hour and a half. Every fortnight I also go to a knitting group in the evening to sit with other like-minded people and gossip whilst knitting.

5. Doris says:

I try to knit each evening, as well as at the weekly knitting group I attend. I bought a purse with enough room for my personal effects plus a large section where I carry a knitting project. That way I capture each spare minute while waiting at appointments or car maintenance by knitting. I know I’m not wasting time, and my knitting benefits!!

6. Eli Haugen says:

I always have several knitting Projects going at the same time – big and small. A small one for my purse for doctors appointments, having coffee With a friend, visiting. A big one is placed by my easy Chair in front of the TV – get a lot of knitting done that way. In short – I never let my hands be idle, and I love it!

7. Amy Mallison-Austin says:

I have my knitting with me almost all the time. We live on a farm and I have five kids. My youngest is five and likes to be outside almost all the time. If I’m not busy doing work, I hang out with him by the creek and knit away. I also knit while I’m cooking supper and in the evenings while we watch TV. It’s something that is just a part of me. I am a much calmer person when I get to knit a bit every day.

8. Ruth says:

Every day I have time to knit. With 4 grandchildren and 3 of them going to school. I feel that I have to contribute to their wardrobe. Right now I have started a sweater in the round for myself. yippy!!!
    ” Lazy hands, lazy mind”. Quote from my late beloved Grandmother.

9. Kathy says:

Definitely I knit daily! Plus once a week a group of us get together to knit or crochet for 2-3 hours. I am retired and I knit all gifts for family and friends. Knitting is my creative outlet and keeps me sane!

10. Karen says:

I knit when I am watching TV

11. Dottie says:

I made myself a VB style custom knitting bag and it goes where I go. You never know when you will get the chance to knit. It stays by my favorite seat at home so I can knit when I have time to watch TV. Our weekly knit group that meets mostly at my house helps encourage us to keep knitting.

12. Jeanette says:

About the only place I do NOT knit is in church. I usually take at least 2 projects when leaving the house. You never know when something might go wrong with one. I also attend a spinning & weaving guild monthly, where I knit, as well as a knitting group monthly. Unless I have a deadline on a project, I usually just grab a few minutes when I can at home or on the road.

13. Pearl Taylor says:

When I sitting I’m knitting, when we take a road trip I’ll tell my husband to drive so I can work,(yah right)I love to knit, I take it to all appointments as I know I’ll have time to knit. My Nana taught me when I was four, I have nine grandkids that can knit and two of them safe boys. Go knitter’s

14. I knit of an evening, or when I’m a passenger in a car or a bus or aeroplane, etc. Or when visiting (some people…) Sometimes I take a break from the daily grind and knit.

15. Bobby San says:

I learned to knit as a young woman watching other women knit. I learned to pick because that’s what seemed easiest to me. Throwing seems to take too long as I’m always two or three projects behind. I also crochet so continental seems to make sense.