What Inspires You to Buy a Skein of Yarn?

Today on a little excursion to check out some local yarn shops, I found an intriguing LYS called Simply Socks Yarn Company, established eight years ago, first as an online-only business, then in August 2011, they restored a 3,500 square-foot 1940s post office in Ft. Wayne, Indiana into a new storefront.

The shop houses more than five tons of sock weight yarn! When I walked in, I was overwhelmed at the exciting selection. I honestly didn’t know where to start, but here’s what finally tickled my fancy. What shall I make?

Rowan Fine Art  and Skein Sock

Two delicious treats: Rowan Fine Art and Skein Sock

I’m the kind of knitter that buys the yarn first and then I let the skein “talk to me.” What about you? Do you usually buy a skein of yarn AFTER you have a pattern in mind? Or, do you let the yarn inspire you, and then find a pattern later?  Leave your comment here!

6 Responses to What Inspires You to Buy a Skein of Yarn?

1. Melinda says:

Actually, I do both. But the majority of the time, I fall in love with the yarn and then seek out a pattern.

2. Jill says:

I have visited this store and also purchased from them online. In both cases, I bought the yarn simply for the enjoyment of owning it without having a pattern in mind.

3. Martina says:

I do fall in love with wool, but I know what I want to knit with it. I don’t ever work from patterns and just go with the flow once I have cast on. I just see where the journey takes me!

4. rkr says:

Definitely in your camp! The yarn has to speak-to-me first, then I purchase enough to cover any project I think I might create with that gauge.
    Leftovers aren’t a concern as there are way too many interesting accessories to design as well.

5. Jennifer says:

I usually see a beautiful ball of yarn and buy it and them find a project for it.
    Sometimes I have a project in mind and then find the yarn and this is becoming more common as I try to decluter some of my stuff.

6. jean says:

I am unable to pass up any yarn I have so much it needs a room.I truly let the yarn talk to me most of the time I free style with no pattern.