Do you have a Favorite Cast-On Method?

What is your favorite way to cast-on? Do you use only one kind, or do you use different methods depending on your project?

What's YOUR favorite way to cast-on?

The Long-Tail Cast-On

I’ll kick things off by sharing my favorite–the Long-Tail Cast-On. I use this most of the time simply because it’s fast, and it’s the first one I learned. I do realize that this kind of cast-on is not always the best choice, especially if you want a nice and stretchy edge. Regardless, I still have a special place in my heart for this speedy way to cast-on.

All you have to do is leave a comment at the end of this post, sharing what your favorite method is.┬áLet’s get this discussion started!

15 Responses to Do you have a Favorite Cast-On Method?

1. Jean J says:

I seldom use anything but the long tail cast on. I wind the yarn around the needles the same number of times as the number of stitches I need to cast on, adding an extra few inches for the ‘tail’. I always have the right amount of yarn for the entire cast on.

• Jeanette says:

Love this tip!! I’m teaching myself to knit, and this has always baffled me.
      I use this cast on method all the time.
      Thanks!!

• Mary Jo Troughton says:

I have always used the long tail cast on. However, lately I am trying to stretch my knitting knowledge.

2. mrscp says:

I tend to use the cable cast on as I think it is very neat but not too tight.

3. Antta Nagel says:

Thats the way I was taught and the only one I use

4. Karen Evans says:

I nearly always use the cable cast on unless the pattern suggests otherwise when I do then try that method – both for the effect and sometimes just for fun.

5. Mary says:

I wish I could learn to cast on in any manner!

6. Rosy says:

What would be the other way to have nice and stretchy edge???

Thank you.

7. I have taken classes to learn all the different ways to cast on, but I usually go back to the one I learned at the beginning 52 years ago which is the long tail cast-on.

8. Magsy says:

I cast on using the long tail with thumb and needle and I am going to google the cable cast on cause I don’t know what that is.

9. Iris Faigin says:

Mostly I use the long tail method, but recently bought a book called Cast On, Bind off. Can’t wait to try new techniques.

10. Beverly Lawler says:

I like the long tail cast-on for a lot of things, but lately I’ve been making hats so I’ve been using the German cast-on which is a variation of the long tail and is very stretchy. I also like the crochet cast-on, the knit cast-on and for two at a time toe up socks I use Judy’s Magic cast-on.