Kara’s Quick-Knit Tip: Joining New Yarn

Here’s today’s quick-knit tip:

If you need to join new yarn,  it should be added only at the beginning of a row, never in the middle, unless this is required for a color pattern change.

To add yarn, tie the new strand around the old strand, making a knot at the edge of the work, leaving at least 6 inches on both old and new strands. Then proceed to knit with the new yarn. When you get ready to finish your piece, untie the knot and weave in the ends.

9 Responses to Kara’s Quick-Knit Tip: Joining New Yarn

1. Joan says:

Thank you and I enjoy your blog!

2. Kara says:

Hi Joan,
    I’m so glad you’re enjoying the blog. If there are any tips or tutorials you’d like to see, please let me know!

3. Mary Lee says:

This assumes that you’re knitting flat & seamed, which is not the case for more than half of my knitting. It also wastes yarn.

I much prefer using a wet splice, back join, Russian join, or braided join when I come to the end of a ball, wherever that may be. Done properly, the join is strong & invisible.

Hi Mary Lee,

Yes, this does assume that you are doing flat knitting. When knitting in the round this method would not apply, but this is a nice basic way for joining yarn that I find very useful.

Kara

4. Gae says:

Thank you so much for this tip.

5. MELINDA says:

I just did this for the first time last night but did not knot it. Then, I decided to tie it after doing the first row realizing that it would be loose. Thanks for the great tip!!;-)

6. Susan (sjanova) says:

I’m not sure why you say new yarn should be joined only at the edge. There are several methods for joining in new balls of yarn (same color) anywhere in a row. Is end of row a recommendation for new knitters?

Hi Susan,

Joining yarn at the end of a row is for back and forth knitting. This method is good for beginners because the loose yarns can easily be woven in when seaming.

Kara

7. S. Neuman says:

I personally NEVER join at an edge because it interferes with seaming. Instead, I use the double stitch method, working two stitches with both old and new yarn. It creates little bulk and makes weaving in the ends later much easier, especially with wool. I use this method in circular knitting as well.