Free Travel Project of the Month - May
Silky Pink Evening Bag With Coin Purse
Design by Kennita Tully
Use your extra skein of yarn to knit a matching evening bag and its clever little zippered coin purse.
- Bag: Approximately 6 1/2 x 4 inches
- Coin purse: Approximately 3 x 2 inches
- Worsted weight yarn* (135 yds/ 50g per skein): 1 skein princess pink #6989
- Size 5 (3.75mm) needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- 1 (5/8 x 15/16-inch) button classic wave #7023
- 3-inch metal zipper
- 26 sts and 54 rows = 4 inches/10cm in pat.
- To save time, take time to check gauge.
Wrap and turn (W/T): Work to st to be wrapped, bring yarn between needles to front, sl next st to RH needle, take yarn to back, return slipped st (which is now wrapped) to LH needle; turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
- Textured Pattern (multiple of 4 sts + 3)
- Row 1 (RS): K3, *sl 1, k3; rep from * across.
- Row 2: K3, *sl 1, k3; rep from * across.
- Row 3: K1, *sl 1, k3; rep from *, end sl 1, k1.
- Row 4: K1, *sl 1, k3; rep from *, end sl 1, k1.
Rep Rows 1-4 for pat.
- Slip all stitches purlwise with yarn on wrong side of fabric.
- When working short row shaping on purse flap, always knit last stitch before wrap and turn.
- If unable to find a 3-inch zipper, shorten a longer one as directed on package.
- Cast on 43 sts.
- Work in Textured pat until piece measures 8 inches, ending with a WS row.
- Row 1 (RS): Work in pat across 42 sts, W/T.
- Row 2: Work 41 sts, W/T.
- Row 3: Work 40 sts, W/T.
- Row 4: Work 39 sts, W/T.
- Row 5: Work 38 sts, W/T.
- Row 6: Work 37 sts, W/T.
- Row 7: Work 36 sts, W/T.
- Row 8: Work 35 sts, W/T.
- Row 9: Work 34 sts, W/T.
- Row 10: Work 33 sts, W/T.
- Row 11: Work 32 sts, W/T and at the same time, work a buttonhole over center 3 sts.
- Rows 12-19: Continue to work in established pat as above, having 1 less st before turning on each row.
- Row 20: Work 17 sts, W/T.
Cut yarn and attach at beg of RS row. Knit across all sts. Bind off on next row.
Fold cast-on edge up to beg of flap shaping, sew side seams. Sew button opposite buttonhole.
- Cast on 19 sts and work 2 rows in garter st.
- Beg Textured pat and work until piece measures approximately 4 inches.
- Work 2 rows in garter st. Bind off on next row.
- Sew zipper in coin purse and sew side seams.
- Make twisted cord to attach coin purse to bag by tightly twisting 2 strands of yarn approximately 18 inches long. Slide zipper tab to center, and then let cords twist back on themselves. Secure end and sew into purse.
Copyright © Fall 2010 Accessorize With Style, Circular Knitting magazine.
Click here to download the PDF (248.3 KB)
|Other travel projects in the series:|